Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Let's do something different

Like many things in life this blog became a forgotten project.  It was never really meant to become anything more than a way to inform loved ones and family of life's goings on's, and let's be honest there are so many other mediums to do just that now that blogs are no longer needed for that particular endeavor.  So instead, I'd like to begin documenting and using this blog to track my progress in my new profession.  And, maybe some fun little quips about my life as well.

Newest Changes:

  • I graduated from grad school in December, and am now officially an occupational therapist (*squeal!*)
  • My long time boyfriend and I have separated.  Very sad, but these things happen, and life has a way of moving on whether we like it or not, so I've embraced the change as much as possible.
  • I have a job at a skilled nursing facility (SNF)
  • I live alone, for the first time in years and its very scary but very liberating I must say!


What the FuHell is Occupational Therapy?!:

I like to say that occupational therapy is the very close sister of physical therapy and speech therapy.  And, as a sister of three myself, I can tell you that this is honestly the best way for me to describe our relationship in the therapy world.  The three of us respect and love each other.  We couldn't do our jobs without the other.  However, the minute you step over that line that separates our living spaces in our shared and very small bedroom I will slice your face off with a butter knife and yell for mom to come GET you.

So, what exactly is occupational therapy?  We help people find their lives, their independence again.  For example, if someone has a stroke and they can't use their right side anymore they usually can't stand, eat, write, dress, go to the bathroom, get in and out of bed, go the grocery store, etc without a lot of help.  We come in and help them either improve the use of their right side, or help develop adaptive techniques they can use when their rehabilitation can only go so far.  When people experience a life changing injury, such as a stroke or spinal cord injury, people often think of all the things they're going to lose.  They are terrified of what all they will be unable to do or participate in.  It's my job to help them find a way to do those things that are important to them again.

I have yet to officially begin treating patients with this new job yet.  That starts next week, but it is my hope that as I begin this very scary and amazing journey I can share the lessons I learn here.  This being the first blog in (almost) 5 years, let's leave this week with just the update of where my life is for now.  And, I want to end each post with my own version of "Your Moment of Zen," let's call it...

"Your Nugget of Savvy"



No comments: